Roofing is arguably one of the most important parts of your home. The roof protects your family and valuables from snow, sun, rain, and other harsh weather elements. Unfortunately, no roof lasts forever, and you must replace it after some time. Typically, most roofs last between 20 and 50 years, depending on the type of material. This means that, eventually, you must replace your home’s roof. Replacing your roof can be daunting, especially if you don’t know where to start. If you wonder how long it takes to roof a house, you are not alone. Many homeowners want to know how long it will take to replace a roof. This article will cover everything you need to know about roofing a house, including how to prepare, when, and how often you should do it.
On average, roof replacement should be done in 12 years or less. However, this is not true for everyone. Some people have their roofs replaced in 10 years, while others can wait for up to 25 years to replace their roofs. There are numerous factors you should consider to determine how long it takes to replace a roof.
How Long Does It Take to Roof a House?
For an average size home, installing a roof usually takes 1 to 3 days. Hiring an experienced roofing contractor is crucial to avoid incurring a huge financial loss in the long run. Ideally, the entire roofing process, i.e., from hiring a contractor to final inspection, can take 2 to 3 weeks. The size of the house, time of the year, inspection, preparation, and workmanship can determine the amount of time it will take to complete the roofing project. Some of the factors that determine how long it takes to roof a house include the following:
· House size – the bigger the house, the longer it takes to replace the roof. For example, roofing takes longer if the house is storied because workers spend a lot of time planning and carrying the materials.
· Scope of work – roofing a house takes much longer if limiting or additional factors affect the roofing process. For example, if the roofers cannot access the roof without a ladder, it might take longer to finish the project.
· Roofing materials – the roofing materials used can delay the entire process. For example, roofing a house could take longer if additional materials must be used.
· Weather – unfriendly working conditions, for example, too hot or cold weather, affect the roof installation process.
How Do You Prepare Your House for a New Roof?
The roofing process varies depending on the materials used and the contractor hired. However, roof replacement is similar in most cases. Firstly, homeowners meet the roofing contractor and arrange a roof inspection. The homeowner and the contractor may meet several times to finalize the design and roofing materials. You will be presented with a contract. You are required to carefully read and understand it before signing it. Remember, the roofing project can only begin after you have signed the contract. Consider talking to a lawyer if you have difficulties reading and trying to understand.
Here are some of the ways you can prepare your house for a new roof:
· Keep your kids and pets safe – loud noises and constant movement around the house and on the roof could be stressful. Also, when installing a roof, your home is unsafe for kids and pets. You should plan in advance to have the kids and pets stay with family or friends.
· Remove satellite dishes or TV antenna – you can contact cable or satellite providers to remove the antenna or satellite dish before the roofing contractors arrive. Alternatively, you can do it yourself.
· Move your car to a safe place – whether you park it across the street, in the garage, or at your neighbor’s house, you should park it in a safe place. Firstly, when the roofing starts, you do not want anything falling on your car. Secondly, it could cause a lot of stress when moving roofing materials or vehicles while you park on the driveway.
· If you have any items in the attic, consider covering or moving them to another room.
· Consider removing wall decorations because they are at risk of getting damaged.
· Homeowners with patio furniture, grills, potted plants, and other lawn ornaments should move them to a safer zone.
It is important to understand that roofing contractors will not help you move personal items. Therefore, plan in advance and ask for help from friends and colleagues.
What Time of the Year is Best to Install a Roof?
Roof installation should be done in the right conditions. Although it can be done, roof installation should not be done in the snow, rain, or freezing temperatures. If your roof replacement is not urgent, you should do it during the dry season. What is the best time of the year to install a roof? Roof installation should be done between spring and fall because it is neither snowing, too hot, or freezing. Snow and rain are some factors that will delay the installation process. Other times, it can put your home at risk. Talk to your roofing contractor to determine the best roof installation time, depending on your location and availability.
How Often Do You Need to Replace the Roof?
Most roofing materials can last up to a decade. This means you only need to replace your roof depending on its condition. All roofs have a lifespan, and you should talk to your roofer to determine the lifespan and warranty of your roof. If there are signs of a leak or water spots on the ceiling or ceiling dams, you should replace the roof. As a rule of thumb, avoid waiting until it is too late to replace your roof. Always replace your roof if it s approaching its estimated lifespan.
How Long Does It Take to Take Off and Put On a New Roof?
In general, you can replace the roof in a day. However, in extreme cases, taking off and putting on a new roof could take 3 to 5 days. If the roofing contractors work in optimal conditions and on an average size home, a day or two is enough to complete the roofing project. Roof replacement is a complicated process that can vary depending on several factors. Consider talking to the contractor to estimate how it will take to get the job done.
Replacing your roof might seem like an inconvenience, but it is not because installing a new roof can increase the value of your home. Therefore, it might be a lot of work, but if your valuables and loved ones are protected, a little inconvenience is a fair price. Finally, consider hiring a local contractor with good reviews and ratings. A reputable roofing contractor should finish the job on time while maintaining quality.